Reds signed 3B Matt Mangini to a minor league contract.
Mangini was released by the Rays in August and finished last season with the Diamondbacks’ Triple-A affiliate. He hasn’t appeared in the majors since 2010 and is merely organizational depth.
Reds GM Walt Jocketty said Friday that Scott Rolen’s status is still “up in the air”, but that he hopes to resolve the situation before the weekend is through.
Rolen has decided to come back for another season, but the Reds aren’t quite sure they have a role available for him. Todd Frazier is slated to be the everyday third baseman, and Jack Hannahan was brought in to serve as his backup. The 37-year-old has also drawn interest from the Dodgers.
Reds designated RHP Todd Redmond for assignment.
The move clears a spot for the newly-signed Manny Parra on the 40-man roster. Redmond, 27, made one spot start with the Reds last season and posted a 3.63 ERA and 136/39 K/BB ratio over 148 2/3 innings at the Triple-A level between Cincinnati and Atlanta. He could draw interest on waivers from a team in need of rotation depth.
Reds signed LHP Manny Parra to a one-year contract.
No word on the terms involved. Parra was non-tendered by the Brewers in late November after posting a 5.06 ERA and 61/35 K/BB ratio over 58 2/3 innings last season, but he has good stuff and could still turn into a useful reliever.
Reds signed C Miguel Olivo to a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training.
CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman reported earlier Friday that the deal was close, and now it’s official. Since it’s a minor league deal, it doesn’t necessarily mean Devin Mesoraco will begin the year at Triple-A, as Olivo could be the one sent down. The 34-year-old backstop batted .222/.239/.381 with 12 home runs over 87 games with the Mariners last season.
Reds signed RHP Greg Reynolds to a minor league contract.
The No. 2 overall pick in the 2006 draft, Reynolds has put up a 7.47 ERA over 94 career major league innings and held a 5.30 ERA and ugly 69/46 K/BB ratio over 163 frames at Triple-A for the Rangers in 2012. He’s merely organizational depth.
Reds general manager Walt Jocketty said “there’s a chance” Scott Rolen returns to the team in 2013.
Rolen has decided to come back for another season, but there might not be enough playing time available with the Reds to make him happy. “I think there’s a chance we get something worked out,” Jocketty said. “We?re talking about the details ? how much opportunity is there.” The Dodgers have interest in Rolen and would be able to offer him more playing time.
Reds and OF Chris Heisey avoided arbitration by agreeing to a one-year, $1.325 million contract.
Heisey requested a $1.65 million salary and was offered $1.05 million by the Cincinnati front office when arbitration numbers were filed. The 27-year-old outfielder was eligible for salary arbitration for the first time.
Reds and RHP Alfredo Simon avoided arbitration by agreeing to a one-year contract.
Simon asked for $1.05 million and was offered $750,000 by the Reds when arbitration figures were exchanged earlier this month. The 31-year-old right-hander registered an impressive 2.66 ERA in 61 innings last season.